Wednesday, February 3, 2010

When the Raw is Over

Raw Month has come and gone. :) Since then I've been eating mostly raw anyway, as I've noticed the following:

- cooked food makes me feel SO FULL
- cooked food makes my stomach make all sorts of loud grumbling noises
- bread almost put me to sleep, even though I was quite well-rested that day

The bread was particularly crazy. Instead of easing into it, I ate two pieces of white plastic bread with avocado and tomato, which has always been a favourite breakfast or lunch. It tasted great, but I was exhausted afterward, and even almost out of breath when I took phone calls. It's possible that half that reaction is my subconscious being a sook, but I really didn't feel crash-hot.

I officially broke my month of raw eating with a really great Vietnamese meal at one of my favourite restaurants - vegetable and rice noodle soup with lots of coriander, stir-fried vegetables with chilli and garlic, a small amount of steamed rice, and some vegan rice paper polls (no tofu). It was good. I also had six glasses of wine over about 7 hours (eek), danced and caught up with some of my friends. My best friend and I got home at 3am, ate some frozen bananas, and slept like babies afterward.

I'm still sticking to my mostly-raw diet, and I've eaten almost all-raw today (aside from a Larabar Jocalat, which is 90% raw, they say... I prefer original Larabars but it was still good). I even resisted going down to the dodgy takeaway shops for a vegie burger and made a cashew-cheese stuffed capsicum for dinner, and I know I feel better for it.

It's funny - I miss the act of cooking dinners, but the thought of that heavy feeling after eating them puts me off. I might start with a clear vegetable soup, and go from there.

2 comments:

  1. Is tofu not vegan? I never knew!! If I were in your place I'd ease back into things. Too much wheat makes me all bloaty too. And I think the regular Larabars are better than the Jocolat ones too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is vegan, but I'm trying to minimise soy intake... I don't think it's good for me to rely to heavily on processed soy (of which there is loads).

    I'm definitely trying to go slowly into cooked food. I ate some rosemary crackers just earlier and I feel SOOOO full. I'm still too scared to eat a cupcake, though ;)

    ReplyDelete