Tonight I made a Mexican-inspired chickpea casserole, and a vegan cornbread to go with it. I really liked the meal, and I have enough leftovers for three or four more portions (will share with my sister tomorrow).
- Chickpea Casserole
I sauteed five small onions and three cloves of garlic in olive oil with one red jalapeno chilli. I then added a teaspoon of ground cumin, teaspoon of ground coriander, quarter teaspoon of dried oregano, quarter teaspoon of chilli powder (all approximate measures, and I tend to be generous with measures so it's likely I added slightly more) and sauteed.
I then added two peeled, chopped potatoes and half a cup of boiling water in which I'd dissolved a heaped teaspoon of vegan chicken-style stock powder (I'm trying to wean off this stuff and only use homemade, natural stock but while I've got half a tin left I may as well use it) and let it simmer for a few minutes. Then I added one chopped red capsicum, a tin of drained and rinsed chickpeas, and two chopped tomatoes and kept simmering.
About 5 minutes before the potatoes were done, I threw in four big handfuls of English spinach leaves and mixed them in to wilt, then put in a scant quarter cup of whole, pitted black olives. Just before serving I stirred through a small handful of chopped, fresh coriander.
And now the cornbread. I used the recipe from the fantastic book The Joy of Vegan Baking, but I adjusted it slightly to suit me:
- 1.5 cups oat milk
- 1.5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
1) Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius, and spray average square cake tin with canola oil spray
2) Combine the oat milk with the vinegar in a bowl and set aside to curdle
3) In a separate bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder and soda, and sugar. Add the curdled milk mixture along with the oil, then add the corn kernels. Stir until just combined.
4) Pour into the cake tin and smooth the top. Bake for 27-30 minutes, until the top is golden. Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes.
5) Remove the cornbread from the tin and cut into squares.
It was really delicious served hot, with the slices split down the middle and spread with Nuttelex margarine. The cornbread is slightly sweet, so I think it went nicely with the savoury, salty, spicy casserole.

No comments:
Post a Comment