I'll put a disclaimer in now and say that I've never been a sweet-cereal person - Coco Pops were the devil to me as a child, and Frosties were even worse. Froot Loops? Forget it. Not in the morning. I used to happily sit there eating a bowl of All Bran or these plain rice breakfast biscuits my Ma used to buy, just with milk and no added sugar. I like a bit of occasional sweetness now (like raw buckwheat crispies... they are sweet but not tooth-rottingly sweet), but after today's breakfast I feel like I've been hit by a CSR truck. It was my mistake; I decided to make the delicious vanilla Brazil nut milk (which has 1/4 cup agave syrup plus two packets of stevia) instead of plain (a modest 2 tablespoons of agave and no stevia) to pour over the sweet oatmeal. I really liked the taste of it, but the vanilla nut milk pushed it into the too-sweet-for-the-morning category, particularly as all I can smell out here on my verandah is the mountains of sweet jasmine blooming in my yard (Jealous? You should be; it smells incredible ;D and it sure beats the nasty fertiliser the council laid down in the district a few weeks ago). The banana I had on top was the most savoury part of the meal! Thankfully, I shouldn't really have a sugar slump later today, as agave is low G.I. and so are oat groats. That's my theory, anyway.
Note to self: no more very sweet nutmilks with sweet cereals... at least not in the morning.
I'm on carpool duty this morning so off I go. Hope you all have great days and aren't feeling like you've eaten the world's supply of fructose in one sitting! :)

Looks great Johnny Smith!
ReplyDeleteThanks Madame Kippy!
ReplyDeletePS I need you to do a psychic reading for me soon. ;P
Woe, so I've been checking out your blog. I'm not going to pretend I'd be able to try this any time soon (I can't even commit to being vego) but I am really curious!
ReplyDeleteDo you make all your own milks? (I'm guessing UHT counts as cooking?)
and is it more expensive than how you were eating before?
I do make my own nutmilks! I'll do a little blog post on it soon, but it's really easy. All you need is a blender and a nutmilk bag (or double cheesecloth) for straining. If you remember to soak the nuts or seeds before you go to bed, it doesn't take much time to make some in the morning.
ReplyDeleteI haven't worked it out, but I think it is a just a little bit more expensive than how I was eating before (legumes and noodles are cheap and go a long way!) but I could make it cheaper if I really tried. I buy cheap vegetables and fruit mostly, but agave syrup, young coconuts, coconut oil, and most nuts/seeds push the shopping basket prices up a bit. :)
Thanks for replying!
ReplyDeleteanother question-
are teas allowed?
I'm a big tea drinker but am avoiding it for this month as I didn't think that steeping herbs etc in boiling water would be raw.
ReplyDeleteI just found this (the whole FAQ is pretty good, actually!) at http://www.living-foods.com/faq.html :
"Do raw and living foodists drink tea?
Some living and raw foodists will drink SUN TEA, which is tea brewed by the power of the Sun. Teas that contain boiling water are not considered raw. Many teas that are purchased in the store may have been processed at temperatures above 118 degrees. The best way is to grow your own herbs and dry them at a low temperature, and use them for sun teas."